They say “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Asher Roth, hereafter referred to as Ash Roth or just plainly Asher, is sticking to this theory and continuing to build his catalog as he gains extra points in the rap game. Linking back up with Chester French (or just DA in this case), as he did on As I Em, the two’s respective and distinct sounds mesh perfectly once again on new record Gotta Get Up. Ash’s mellow laid back lyrical intricacy and DA’s raspy (voice effect of course) sing-songy hook both do justice to the production by Norfolk’s own Nottz, who provides bouncy pianos and almost boom-bap drums for Asher to discuss the daily task that’s both difficult and daunting: getting up out of bed and getting on with your day after a night of liver destroying festivities. As we wait for Ash’s upcoming album, The Spaghetti Tree, we should have more than enough to keep us satisfied with the release of his collaborative project with Nottz, the punnily titled Rawth EP, due to drop on December 27.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.