Though a well-chosen, cleverly-employed snippet of some forgotten musical gem can elevate a good hip-hop record to masterpiece status, magical things can also happen when a beatsmith throws caution to the wind and simply grabs a sample from the most ridiculous LP in his collection… say, for instance, the soundtrack to 1965 Broadway flop Flora, the Red Menace (starring Liza Minelli!). Nottz’ goofy as hell, maddeningly catchy boardwork may be the most striking thing about this unreleased cut (included as a bonus track on the U.K. iTunes version of Asleep In The Bread Aisle), but at the core of Y.O.U. lies some pretty sound advice: just be yourself! Asher Roth‘s lyrical reflections on self-image are as agile, clever, and amiable as we’ve come to expect, but Slick Rick‘s contribution is what will have many coming back for a second and third listen—in his eloquent guest verse, the veteran emcee raps circles around Nottz’ beat without breaking a sweat. Asleep in the Bread Aisle, released on 4/20, is available now in stores and online, and Booth readers will be able to hear Nathan S.‘s take on the LP this Thursday.
Written by richard on 04/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.