Though Asher Roth‘s no longer the keg-pumping frat-hopper he was when he first entered the game, he still looks forward to Summertime as ardently as any college kid. On his latest effort, an unreleased joint not attached to his forthcoming sophomore set, the Keystone State representative lets us know exactly how he’s gonna spend June July and August—in the process demonstrating that he can do breezy headphone music as well as any rapper in the game. Nottz provides the requisite blissfully chill instrumental backdrop, layering horn flourishes and understated backing vocals over a glittering guitar-percussion loop as Roth drops chilled-out yet characteristically scatterbrained bars, admitting to using Bushmills as mouthwash and indulging in some of the most ridiculous game spitting I’ve heard in a minute (“Damn you’re fine from behind. What’s your sign? What’s your bra size?”). Bridgeport, Connecticut vet Quan ends the cut on a slightly suaver note, waxing poetic about the charms of girls in sundresses. Summertime, as mentioned above, won’t be appearing on the LP, but those left craving more can keep it locked for all the latest on Asher’s yet-untitled, yet-unscheduled second album.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.