Though we try to keep the tone friendly here at DJBooth.net, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy a good, spirited debate—thus, I can’t help but look forward to seeing readers’ reactions to the fact that Eminem and his alleged “style-jacker,” Asher Roth, have released new singles on the same day. With that said, those who prefer to judge tunes on their own merits will find a lot to like about Be By Myself, which finds the I Love College up-and-comer pushing his flow to the limit as he details his taste for no-strings-attached romance. There’s no better backdrop for a celebration of free love (or recreational drug use, for that matter) than the swingin’ sounds of ‘60s psychedelia, and frequent production partner Oren Yoel goes beyond the call of duty, recreating that vintage tone using live instrumentation (seriously, no samples). As if that’s not groovy enough, the trippiest man in pop music (Cee-Lo, of course), contributes his inimitable falsetto vocals to the hook. It all adds up to a catchy cut that should sound even better on 4/20, when Asleep in the Bread Aisle hits stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 04/7/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.