Though we try to keep the tone friendly here at DJBooth.net, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy a good, spirited debate—thus, I can’t help but look forward to seeing readers’ reactions to the fact that Eminem and his alleged “style-jacker,” Asher Roth, have released new singles on the same day. With that said, those who prefer to judge tunes on their own merits will find a lot to like about Be By Myself, which finds the I Love College up-and-comer pushing his flow to the limit as he details his taste for no-strings-attached romance. There’s no better backdrop for a celebration of free love (or recreational drug use, for that matter) than the swingin’ sounds of ‘60s psychedelia, and frequent production partner Oren Yoel goes beyond the call of duty, recreating that vintage tone using live instrumentation (seriously, no samples). As if that’s not groovy enough, the trippiest man in pop music (Cee-Lo, of course), contributes his inimitable falsetto vocals to the hook. It all adds up to a catchy cut that should sound even better on 4/20, when Asleep in the Bread Aisle hits stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 04/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.