Though we try to keep the tone friendly here at DJBooth.net, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy a good, spirited debate—thus, I can’t help but look forward to seeing readers’ reactions to the fact that Eminem and his alleged “style-jacker,” Asher Roth, have released new singles on the same day. With that said, those who prefer to judge tunes on their own merits will find a lot to like about Be By Myself, which finds the I Love College up-and-comer pushing his flow to the limit as he details his taste for no-strings-attached romance. There’s no better backdrop for a celebration of free love (or recreational drug use, for that matter) than the swingin’ sounds of ‘60s psychedelia, and frequent production partner Oren Yoel goes beyond the call of duty, recreating that vintage tone using live instrumentation (seriously, no samples). As if that’s not groovy enough, the trippiest man in pop music (Cee-Lo, of course), contributes his inimitable falsetto vocals to the hook. It all adds up to a catchy cut that should sound even better on 4/20, when Asleep in the Bread Aisle hits stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 04/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.