By now, it’s Common Knowledge that Asher Roth has mic skills light-years beyond what his early “beer-swilling fratboy” persona might have led one to believe. Well, at least it is among clued-in heads like the intelligent and attractive individuals who make up The DJBooth’s readership. As for those a little slower on the uptake, the Morrisville, Pennsylvania native is thoughtfully attempting to edify them with his latest effort, a newly-leaked jam off his next street album. Roth’s production partners throughout much of the project, Blended Babies layer burbling synth arpeggios over a reverb-drenched breakbeat to back the rapper’s free-associative bars. As usual, it would take hours to sift through the lyrical soup of pop-culture references for one choice line. To give you an idea of Roth’s allusive range, however, the spitter manages to namedrop famed powerlifter Magnús Ver Magnússon, quote A League of Their Own (“There’s no crying in baseball!”) and shout out onetime Nickelodeon mascot Stick Stickly; all before the record comes to a close. Digging it? Then stay tuned for the latest news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled release of Asher Roth’s Pabst & Jazz LP.
Written by richard on 11/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.