By now, it’s Common Knowledge that Asher Roth has mic skills light-years beyond what his early “beer-swilling fratboy” persona might have led one to believe. Well, at least it is among clued-in heads like the intelligent and attractive individuals who make up The DJBooth’s readership. As for those a little slower on the uptake, the Morrisville, Pennsylvania native is thoughtfully attempting to edify them with his latest effort, a newly-leaked jam off his next street album. Roth’s production partners throughout much of the project, Blended Babies layer burbling synth arpeggios over a reverb-drenched breakbeat to back the rapper’s free-associative bars. As usual, it would take hours to sift through the lyrical soup of pop-culture references for one choice line. To give you an idea of Roth’s allusive range, however, the spitter manages to namedrop famed powerlifter Magnús Ver Magnússon, quote A League of Their Own (“There’s no crying in baseball!”) and shout out onetime Nickelodeon mascot Stick Stickly; all before the record comes to a close. Digging it? Then stay tuned for the latest news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled release of Asher Roth’s Pabst & Jazz LP.
Written by richard on 11/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.