By now, it’s Common Knowledge that Asher Roth has mic skills light-years beyond what his early “beer-swilling fratboy” persona might have led one to believe. Well, at least it is among clued-in heads like the intelligent and attractive individuals who make up The DJBooth’s readership. As for those a little slower on the uptake, the Morrisville, Pennsylvania native is thoughtfully attempting to edify them with his latest effort, a newly-leaked jam off his next street album. Roth’s production partners throughout much of the project, Blended Babies layer burbling synth arpeggios over a reverb-drenched breakbeat to back the rapper’s free-associative bars. As usual, it would take hours to sift through the lyrical soup of pop-culture references for one choice line. To give you an idea of Roth’s allusive range, however, the spitter manages to namedrop famed powerlifter Magnús Ver Magnússon, quote A League of Their Own (“There’s no crying in baseball!”) and shout out onetime Nickelodeon mascot Stick Stickly; all before the record comes to a close. Digging it? Then stay tuned for the latest news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled release of Asher Roth’s Pabst & Jazz LP.
Written by richard on 11/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.