Maybe I’m just in a Weezy state of mind (sounds dangerous) with Tha Carter IV on our doorstep, but Asher Roth’s current approach to music reminds me of a pre-Carter III Lil Wayne. With the public waiting for a highly anticipated album (in Roth’s case, his no-longer-titled Spaghetti Tree sophomore set) he seems to simply be set on releasing as much new free music as possible, which comes to us today in the form of Ampersand. A record that doubles as a high school English test, it’s the fancy term for “&”, Amper floats softly on an acoustically driven beat by Chicago’s Blended Babies that relies on the Oh My’s cover of Al Green’s Simply Beautiful for its sample (follow that?). Lyrically & is trademark Asher, a stream of consciousness mash of words and pop culture references that demands you keep Wikipedia open as you listen: oh come on, like you remembered who Stephen Dorff was. No word yet on the new title or release date for “the album formerly known as Spaghetti Tree”, but as soon as either gets locked down you can count on us to spread the word.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.