Maybe I’m just in a Weezy state of mind (sounds dangerous) with Tha Carter IV on our doorstep, but Asher Roth’s current approach to music reminds me of a pre-Carter III Lil Wayne. With the public waiting for a highly anticipated album (in Roth’s case, his no-longer-titled Spaghetti Tree sophomore set) he seems to simply be set on releasing as much new free music as possible, which comes to us today in the form of Ampersand. A record that doubles as a high school English test, it’s the fancy term for “&”, Amper floats softly on an acoustically driven beat by Chicago’s Blended Babies that relies on the Oh My’s cover of Al Green’s Simply Beautiful for its sample (follow that?). Lyrically & is trademark Asher, a stream of consciousness mash of words and pop culture references that demands you keep Wikipedia open as you listen: oh come on, like you remembered who Stephen Dorff was. No word yet on the new title or release date for “the album formerly known as Spaghetti Tree”, but as soon as either gets locked down you can count on us to spread the word.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Gonna Come ft. Charles Hamilton & Asher Roth" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.