Back in September, Ashanti returned to our pages with Dream House soundtrack inclusion Never Too Far Away, her first feature since 2008’s Good Good. But was she really back? Considering how many prominent artists have emerged from a long absence with a fresh record and big plans only to disappear right back into the ether, there remained the looming possibility that fans who got their hopes up might get burned. Today, however, the singer/songwriter makes her comeback official with The Woman You Love, her debut promo single with eOne Music. Jerry Wonder mans the boards, serving up a muscular chopped-sample groove as the Foolish hitmaker vents her spleen at a man who doesn’t seem to notice her superhuman efforts to secure his love and affection: “What about my pride? / You’re never satisfied / You make me feel like I wasn’t worth bein’ by your side.” Busta Rhymes steps into the shoes of Ashanti’s significant other, rushing to reassure her of his feelings for her in a tender (but aggressively flowed) closing 16. Available now on iTunes, this impassioned jam isn’t currently attached to any forthcoming project, but fans can expect details on a new album to surface early 2012.
Written by richard on 12/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pac's Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.