One of the great things about my job is that you never know what tomorrow will hold. One day you’re writing about Ja Rule, the next he’s in jail. One day you have no idea who Odd Future are, the next they’re everywhere. Considering her last solo feature was 2008’s Good Good I never expected to find a new Ashanti single sitting in my inbox, and yet here we are, with Never Too Far Away pacing through our headphones. R&B mainstay LT Hutton takes over production duties here, crafting a symphonic blend of pianos and strings that’s tailor made for the track’s cinematic origins. Vocally, this is Ashanti at her most dramatic – while she doesn’t bust out the fireworks a peer like Jennifer Hudson would she relies instead on her considerable charisma to carry the track. Is it a line she walks well? That’s up to the Booth to determine in the comments below. In the meantime, while there’s no word yet on a new solo album, fans can find Ashanti’s contribution (and much more) to the Dream House Soundtrack on September 30, when the film hits theaters nationwide.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Cant Deny It (Ridah) ft. Jim Jones" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.