Evidently, Ashanti has never sat down with a pair of headphones and listened to the Diddy and Keyshia Cole collaboration, Last Night. If she had, it would be easy to hear that Mario Winans, the producer of the chart topping smash, merely tweaked the beat and turned it around to create Hey Baby (After The Club). Don’t get me wrong—this happens all the time (see Lil’ Jon). Although when creativity and uniqueness are key, Ashanti essentially is mimicking Ms. Cole. Then again, when she releases her upcoming album The Declaration on December 7th, she might hold her own just fine.
Written by DJ Z on 09/17/07
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Cant Deny It (Ridah) ft. Jim Jones" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.