Remember Ashanti‘s video for Rock Wit U, which depicted her laying on the beach? Well, for her latest single, First Real Love, I think she went back to that tropical paradise to grab Beenie Man. It makes sense, because you can’t have a dope dancehall cut without Beenie’s energetic, brisk vocals. This isn’t just your average dancehall cut, either. Behind the boards, producers Teetimus, Mista Raja Greene and Yusuf Sef Millz Alexander blend the dancehall vibe with elements of R&B and EDM to create a unique hybrid between the three genres. Though Ashanti’s vocals are bubbly, they are quite powerful as well; your average singer would get drowned out by the crazy beat, but not this veteran crooner. Like last month’s Rick Ross-assisted I Got It, First Real Love will appear on the artist’s Braveheart album, due out March 4.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/21/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pac's Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.