Everything has been purple for the past couple of weeks thanks to the left field success of rapper ASAP Rocky. Already cosigned by today’s biggest names like Cam’ron and Drake, Rocky’s name caught our attention after the announcement of a reported $3 million deal with RCA. Similar to Kreayshawn’s out of no where 7 figure signing, a lot of us didn’t know enough about ASAP to know if he was worth the deal. However, after the release of his mixtape Live Love A$AP, it’s obvious ASAP has more talent in his grill than Kreay’s life. One of the standout tracks from the project is the DJ Burn One produced Houston Old Head. While I’m starting to question if Rocky really is a Harlem rapper, the way he smoothly raps over the southern style instrumental seems to be effortless. Stating he’s “always in Houston with a NY state of mind,” ASAP raps about why we should listen to the old heads and avoid hos, money and hos after money. While many are waiting for more material, it’s safe to say tracks like these prove ASAP is no fluke.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/11
Polo Grounds Music/RCA
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.