Everything has been purple for the past couple of weeks thanks to the left field success of rapper ASAP Rocky. Already cosigned by today’s biggest names like Cam’ron and Drake, Rocky’s name caught our attention after the announcement of a reported $3 million deal with RCA. Similar to Kreayshawn’s out of no where 7 figure signing, a lot of us didn’t know enough about ASAP to know if he was worth the deal. However, after the release of his mixtape Live Love A$AP, it’s obvious ASAP has more talent in his grill than Kreay’s life. One of the standout tracks from the project is the DJ Burn One produced Houston Old Head. While I’m starting to question if Rocky really is a Harlem rapper, the way he smoothly raps over the southern style instrumental seems to be effortless. Stating he’s “always in Houston with a NY state of mind,” ASAP raps about why we should listen to the old heads and avoid hos, money and hos after money. While many are waiting for more material, it’s safe to say tracks like these prove ASAP is no fluke.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/11
Submit your Rating
Polo Grounds Music/RCA
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.