Everything has been purple for the past couple of weeks thanks to the left field success of rapper ASAP Rocky. Already cosigned by today’s biggest names like Cam’ron and Drake, Rocky’s name caught our attention after the announcement of a reported $3 million deal with RCA. Similar to Kreayshawn’s out of no where 7 figure signing, a lot of us didn’t know enough about ASAP to know if he was worth the deal. However, after the release of his mixtape Live Love A$AP, it’s obvious ASAP has more talent in his grill than Kreay’s life. One of the standout tracks from the project is the DJ Burn One produced Houston Old Head. While I’m starting to question if Rocky really is a Harlem rapper, the way he smoothly raps over the southern style instrumental seems to be effortless. Stating he’s “always in Houston with a NY state of mind,” ASAP raps about why we should listen to the old heads and avoid hos, money and hos after money. While many are waiting for more material, it’s safe to say tracks like these prove ASAP is no fluke.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/11
Submit your Rating
Polo Grounds Music/RCA
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.