Everything has been purple for the past couple of weeks thanks to the left field success of rapper ASAP Rocky. Already cosigned by today’s biggest names like Cam’ron and Drake, Rocky’s name caught our attention after the announcement of a reported $3 million deal with RCA. Similar to Kreayshawn’s out of no where 7 figure signing, a lot of us didn’t know enough about ASAP to know if he was worth the deal. However, after the release of his mixtape Live Love A$AP, it’s obvious ASAP has more talent in his grill than Kreay’s life. One of the standout tracks from the project is the DJ Burn One produced Houston Old Head. While I’m starting to question if Rocky really is a Harlem rapper, the way he smoothly raps over the southern style instrumental seems to be effortless. Stating he’s “always in Houston with a NY state of mind,” ASAP raps about why we should listen to the old heads and avoid hos, money and hos after money. While many are waiting for more material, it’s safe to say tracks like these prove ASAP is no fluke.
Polo Grounds Music/RCA
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.