I won’t name names, but more than a decade ago (damnit, I’m getting old) I watched The Roots open for a big-name rapper, but when the aforementioned hit the stage he flopped like a European soccer player. The lesson? Once you’ve heard live, full band hip-hop everything else feels empty by comparison. The other lesson? Don’t invite ArtOfficial to open for you unless you’re really, really dope. I mean, who could follow something like the Miami Crew’s standout selection ThreeFour? ArtOfficial members Danny Perez, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper pick up their respective instruments and get to work, building a wide-ranging, impossible-to-label affair that will have even invertebrates nodding their heads. (Think it over.) Add in on point rhymes from group emcees Newsense and Logics and a revolutionarily uplifting message – “What it is and what it’s got to be / We ain’t no slaves to a prophecy” - and you’ve got a track worthy of busting out the nice headphones for. Speaking of which, ArtOfficial’s brand new album Vitamins & Minerals is available right now for free stream and direct purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.