I won’t name names, but more than a decade ago (damnit, I’m getting old) I watched The Roots open for a big-name rapper, but when the aforementioned hit the stage he flopped like a European soccer player. The lesson? Once you’ve heard live, full band hip-hop everything else feels empty by comparison. The other lesson? Don’t invite ArtOfficial to open for you unless you’re really, really dope. I mean, who could follow something like the Miami Crew’s standout selection ThreeFour? ArtOfficial members Danny Perez, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper pick up their respective instruments and get to work, building a wide-ranging, impossible-to-label affair that will have even invertebrates nodding their heads. (Think it over.) Add in on point rhymes from group emcees Newsense and Logics and a revolutionarily uplifting message – “What it is and what it’s got to be / We ain’t no slaves to a prophecy” - and you’ve got a track worthy of busting out the nice headphones for. Speaking of which, ArtOfficial’s brand new album Vitamins & Minerals is available right now for free stream and direct purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.