I won’t name names, but more than a decade ago (damnit, I’m getting old) I watched The Roots open for a big-name rapper, but when the aforementioned hit the stage he flopped like a European soccer player. The lesson? Once you’ve heard live, full band hip-hop everything else feels empty by comparison. The other lesson? Don’t invite ArtOfficial to open for you unless you’re really, really dope. I mean, who could follow something like the Miami Crew’s standout selection ThreeFour? ArtOfficial members Danny Perez, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper pick up their respective instruments and get to work, building a wide-ranging, impossible-to-label affair that will have even invertebrates nodding their heads. (Think it over.) Add in on point rhymes from group emcees Newsense and Logics and a revolutionarily uplifting message – “What it is and what it’s got to be / We ain’t no slaves to a prophecy” - and you’ve got a track worthy of busting out the nice headphones for. Speaking of which, ArtOfficial’s brand new album Vitamins & Minerals is available right now for free stream and direct purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.