As anyone who’s been to a Roots show can attest, live instrument hip-hop is better. It just is. So why don’t we hear more groups like Miami-based jazz/rock hip-hop outfit ArtOfficial? Only the rap gods know, so for now we’ll just have to make do with quality over quantity; quality that comes to us today in the form of the title track off ArtOfficial’s upcoming DJBooth-sponsored project The Payback. A reworking of jazz trio Medeski, Martin & Wood’s Chubb Sub, this smokey joint contains one of the funkier bass lines I’ve heard in a minute and a hot saxophone (saxophone?) solo, along with native ArtOfficial emcees Newsense and Logics and Booth regular K. Sparks (who’s also doing solo work today on Momma Say) spitting a lyrical exploration of karma’s effect in the world. Or to put it way less deeply, payback’s a bi**h. Fans can see watch some behind the scenes footage of ArtOfficial recording The Payback (the song) here, and everyone should expect to hear some sonic vengeance when The Payback drops April 23 on the greatest hip-hop site on the planet…that would be DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/14/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)