As anyone who’s been to a Roots show can attest, live instrument hip-hop is better. It just is. So why don’t we hear more groups like Miami-based jazz/rock hip-hop outfit ArtOfficial? Only the rap gods know, so for now we’ll just have to make do with quality over quantity; quality that comes to us today in the form of the title track off ArtOfficial’s upcoming DJBooth-sponsored project The Payback. A reworking of jazz trio Medeski, Martin & Wood’s Chubb Sub, this smokey joint contains one of the funkier bass lines I’ve heard in a minute and a hot saxophone (saxophone?) solo, along with native ArtOfficial emcees Newsense and Logics and Booth regular K. Sparks (who’s also doing solo work today on Momma Say) spitting a lyrical exploration of karma’s effect in the world. Or to put it way less deeply, payback’s a bi**h. Fans can see watch some behind the scenes footage of ArtOfficial recording The Payback (the song) here, and everyone should expect to hear some sonic vengeance when The Payback drops April 23 on the greatest hip-hop site on the planet…that would be DJBooth.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/14/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.