I know what you’re thinking. Isn’t naming a song Migraine kind of like naming a chicken restaurant Salmonella or an airline Crash? Good point, but consider this: first, live instrument Miami crew ArtOfficial have never been ones to do the predictable, and second, thanks to smooth live instrumentation by Official members Danny Perez, Manny Patino, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper, Migraine is actually far more Tylenol than headache. Collectively produced by the group themselves, Migraine takes a sparse beat and punctuates it with distorted synths and horn riffs, all driven by a stuttering drum kit. Vocally emcees Logics and Newsense match the beat’s mellow personality, delivering flows that are on the surface non-threatening, until you start paying attention to the lyrics: “…hide your sons and daughters / you started getting shot at when you made yourself a target.” If you’re finding this jazz-influenced cut soothing that stress-induced headache, you’ll definitely want to check out their forthcoming album, Vitamins & Minerals, as well as keep an eye out for Migraine’s visual components, dropping next week.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.