Putting a new spin on a hip-hop classic while remaining true to the source material is a delicate task, and it doesn’t get more classic than Don’t Sweat the Technique, the title track and lead single off Eric B. and Rakim‘s fourth LP. Are ArtOfficial, who rework the fondly-remembered cut on the latest single off their DJBooth.net-sponsored The Payback mixtape, up to the challenge? As far as I’m concerned, the answer is “Hell yes.” Here, instrumentalists Danny Perez, Manny Patino, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper deliver a slightly tweaked take on Eric B.‘s jazzy beat as emcees Logics and Newsense drop some appropriately retro-informed braggadocio: “They wanna know, how many styles have I ripped and repped / but researchers haven’t found all the pieces yet…” What do you think, Booth readers – have the Miami ensemble done justice to the timeless original? If you like what you’re hearing and haven’t already checked out ArtOfficial’s latest street album, um, what are you waiting for? The Payback is available right here in the Booth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 05/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.