Putting a new spin on a hip-hop classic while remaining true to the source material is a delicate task, and it doesn’t get more classic than Don’t Sweat the Technique, the title track and lead single off Eric B. and Rakim‘s fourth LP. Are ArtOfficial, who rework the fondly-remembered cut on the latest single off their DJBooth.net-sponsored The Payback mixtape, up to the challenge? As far as I’m concerned, the answer is “Hell yes.” Here, instrumentalists Danny Perez, Manny Patino, Ralf Valencia and Keith Cooper deliver a slightly tweaked take on Eric B.‘s jazzy beat as emcees Logics and Newsense drop some appropriately retro-informed braggadocio: “They wanna know, how many styles have I ripped and repped / but researchers haven’t found all the pieces yet…” What do you think, Booth readers – have the Miami ensemble done justice to the timeless original? If you like what you’re hearing and haven’t already checked out ArtOfficial’s latest street album, um, what are you waiting for? The Payback is available right here in the Booth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 05/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big City Bright Lights" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.