The most underappreciated form of hip-hop performance is rapping accompanied by live instrumentation. The Roots excepted, not many artists are fond of using real instruments in the creation and performance of their work. Newcomers ArtOfficial, however, seem to embody the exception to this rule. Stepping onto the scene with their album Fist Fights and Foot Races, which peaked at #4 on the Japanese Tower Records charts, the sextet finished in third place at this year’s Lollapalooza’s ‘Last Band Standing’ competition. On Big City Bright Lights, a song from their previously-released Stranger EP, emcees Newsense and Logics rap over a jazzy, big-band sound that simply could not be duplicated with synthesizers and 808 loops. Thanks to the musical contributions of keyboardist Danny Perez, drummer Manny Patino, bassist Ralf Valencia, and saxophonist Keith Cooper, ArtOfficial has a rather real edge on their competition.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doing Things Wrong" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.