The most underappreciated form of hip-hop performance is rapping accompanied by live instrumentation. The Roots excepted, not many artists are fond of using real instruments in the creation and performance of their work. Newcomers ArtOfficial, however, seem to embody the exception to this rule. Stepping onto the scene with their album Fist Fights and Foot Races, which peaked at #4 on the Japanese Tower Records charts, the sextet finished in third place at this year’s Lollapalooza’s ‘Last Band Standing’ competition. On Big City Bright Lights, a song from their previously-released Stranger EP, emcees Newsense and Logics rap over a jazzy, big-band sound that simply could not be duplicated with synthesizers and 808 loops. Thanks to the musical contributions of keyboardist Danny Perez, drummer Manny Patino, bassist Ralf Valencia, and saxophonist Keith Cooper, ArtOfficial has a rather real edge on their competition.
Written by Burmy on 12/16/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Doing Things Wrong" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.