The Times, they are a’changin’. In the atmosphere of global unrest that has pervaded 2011 thus far, those seeking a symbol of hope and rebirth need only look towards (what will soon be) the Nation of Southern Sudan. Following a January vote for secession, the historically strife-ridden area is preparing to make its official entrance onto the global scene this coming July. On his latest single, Hungry beatsmith Apollo Brown enlists Booth fave Oddisee to pay tribute to the budding nation and the new beginning which it represents. Backed by Brown’s lightly-jazzy boardwork, based around an oft-flipped sample from Belgian jazz group Placebo’s Humpty Dumpty, the half-Sudanese DMV repper shares his personal reaction to the changes (”Indeed, congratulations are in order / I’m from north of the border / responsible for the slaughter / I was always on their side / for them I’ma always ride.”) and expresses his hope that the country will be a beacon of peace and prosperity in years to come. Digging this poignant cut? In addition to picking up a copy of Apollo Brown’s Clouds LP, out now online, fans can look forward to a deluxe edition of Oddisee’s Odd Seasons, coming May 17.
Written by richard on 04/10/11
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.