Everyone has to Grow Up sometime—well, you don’t technically have to, but, having known a few middle-aged Peter Pan wannabes, I can tell you that there’s a point at which hard-partying slackerdom becomes far more sad than fun. Up-and-coming duo Apex‘s first Booth feature finds emcees Aris and Pre-Sense standing at a crossroads as they approach the big three-oh: does they continue living it up, or do they, you know, get their sh*t together and start acting their age? Over a multilayered, tunefully pretty piano accompaniment by German beatsmith Czientist, the Pennsylvania-repping duo weigh-in on the pros and cons of maturity, finally concluding that taking responsibility for one’s actions and having a good time don’t have to be mutually exclusive. A well-executed, insightful take on a dilemma everyone faces at one point or another, Grow Up has plenty to recommend it to listeners on both sides of adulthood. Struggle City, Apex’ sophomore effort, doesn’t drop till October 20, but their debut, Face the Muzik, is available now on iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, and Amazon.
Listen to More: Apex
Written by richard on 08/18/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.