Everyone has to Grow Up sometime—well, you don’t technically have to, but, having known a few middle-aged Peter Pan wannabes, I can tell you that there’s a point at which hard-partying slackerdom becomes far more sad than fun. Up-and-coming duo Apex‘s first Booth feature finds emcees Aris and Pre-Sense standing at a crossroads as they approach the big three-oh: does they continue living it up, or do they, you know, get their sh*t together and start acting their age? Over a multilayered, tunefully pretty piano accompaniment by German beatsmith Czientist, the Pennsylvania-repping duo weigh-in on the pros and cons of maturity, finally concluding that taking responsibility for one’s actions and having a good time don’t have to be mutually exclusive. A well-executed, insightful take on a dilemma everyone faces at one point or another, Grow Up has plenty to recommend it to listeners on both sides of adulthood. Struggle City, Apex’ sophomore effort, doesn’t drop till October 20, but their debut, Face the Muzik, is available now on iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, and Amazon.
Listen to More: Apex
Written by richard on 08/18/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.