Everyone has to Grow Up sometime—well, you don’t technically have to, but, having known a few middle-aged Peter Pan wannabes, I can tell you that there’s a point at which hard-partying slackerdom becomes far more sad than fun. Up-and-coming duo Apex‘s first Booth feature finds emcees Aris and Pre-Sense standing at a crossroads as they approach the big three-oh: does they continue living it up, or do they, you know, get their sh*t together and start acting their age? Over a multilayered, tunefully pretty piano accompaniment by German beatsmith Czientist, the Pennsylvania-repping duo weigh-in on the pros and cons of maturity, finally concluding that taking responsibility for one’s actions and having a good time don’t have to be mutually exclusive. A well-executed, insightful take on a dilemma everyone faces at one point or another, Grow Up has plenty to recommend it to listeners on both sides of adulthood. Struggle City, Apex’ sophomore effort, doesn’t drop till October 20, but their debut, Face the Muzik, is available now on iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, and Amazon.
Listen to More: Apex Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.