Though Booth newcomer Antonique Smith is best known for her portrayal of Faith Evans in Biggie biopic Notorious, she doesn’t just play R&B singers on the silver screen; she’s also a damn fine recording artist in her own right. As proof, I present her latest single, Hold Up, Wait a Minute (Woo Woo). Here, producer’s Darryl “Darulah” Farmer stomp-clap percussion, stuttering keyboard chords and live brass backs Smith as she gives her ungrateful, philandering man a reality check: “As I open my eyes, I see that you must be blind / Because somebody else like me won’t be so easy to find.” Not only does she set him straight, but she does it with style, turning in a powerful vocal performance punctuated by fiery growls and wails. Feeling it? Then stay tuned. Hold Up isn’t attached to any larger forthcoming project, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on Antonique Smith’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 10/14/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.