Though Booth newcomer Antonique Smith is best known for her portrayal of Faith Evans in Biggie biopic Notorious, she doesn’t just play R&B singers on the silver screen; she’s also a damn fine recording artist in her own right. As proof, I present her latest single, Hold Up, Wait a Minute (Woo Woo). Here, producer’s Darryl “Darulah” Farmer stomp-clap percussion, stuttering keyboard chords and live brass backs Smith as she gives her ungrateful, philandering man a reality check: “As I open my eyes, I see that you must be blind / Because somebody else like me won’t be so easy to find.” Not only does she set him straight, but she does it with style, turning in a powerful vocal performance punctuated by fiery growls and wails. Feeling it? Then stay tuned. Hold Up isn’t attached to any larger forthcoming project, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on Antonique Smith’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 10/14/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.