Jay Z may be the rap game’s Pablo Picasso, but Anti-Lilly is its Mark Rothko. On the latest single off his next street release, the H-Town buzzmaker takes inspiration from his hometown’s Rothko Chapel, named for the famed modern artist. Perhaps fortunately, this joint isn’t quite as abstract as its namesake’s iconic “color field” paintings. On the contrary, the emcee’s bars are concrete and approachable. Over project co-headliner Phoniks‘s light, jazzy boom-bap production, Lilly offers an introspective chronicle of his quest to succeed as an artist, and achieve financial security in the process. Fans will be able to find this real, reflective jam, along with previous single Respiration and much more, on the collaborators’ Stories From the Brass Section EP, dropping at the top of 2014.
Written by richard on 12/5/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Million Stories" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.