Jay Z may be the rap game’s Pablo Picasso, but Anti-Lilly is its Mark Rothko. On the latest single off his next street release, the H-Town buzzmaker takes inspiration from his hometown’s Rothko Chapel, named for the famed modern artist. Perhaps fortunately, this joint isn’t quite as abstract as its namesake’s iconic “color field” paintings. On the contrary, the emcee’s bars are concrete and approachable. Over project co-headliner Phoniks‘s light, jazzy boom-bap production, Lilly offers an introspective chronicle of his quest to succeed as an artist, and achieve financial security in the process. Fans will be able to find this real, reflective jam, along with previous single Respiration and much more, on the collaborators’ Stories From the Brass Section EP, dropping at the top of 2014.
Written by richard on 12/5/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Million Stories" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)