Since Common’s legendary cut, I Used To Love H.E.R, more than a few rappers have borrowed the premise as a vehicle for their own opinions on the state of hip-hop. From the title of Anti-Lilly‘s latest effort, Clarissa (Used 2 Love Her), you might think he is just the latest emcee to personify his genre as a woman, but Anti’s story of love gone awry is much different from any that have come before it. LA Beatz’ jazzy, minimalist boardwork leaves the emcee ample room to shine, and shine he does. The H-Town native displays an interesting, subdued flow, but the strength of this record comes from his lyrical output. Lilly tells the tale of a lovestruck drug dealer in bars that are so descriptive, they almost sound like spoken-word poetry set to music. If Anti-Lilly’s narrative skills have you falling in love like his sprung dealer, then you should be sure to keep an eye out for his Memoirs & The 90’s Project, set to drop by month’s end.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Million Stories" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.