Since Common’s legendary cut, I Used To Love H.E.R, more than a few rappers have borrowed the premise as a vehicle for their own opinions on the state of hip-hop. From the title of Anti-Lilly‘s latest effort, Clarissa (Used 2 Love Her), you might think he is just the latest emcee to personify his genre as a woman, but Anti’s story of love gone awry is much different from any that have come before it. LA Beatz’ jazzy, minimalist boardwork leaves the emcee ample room to shine, and shine he does. The H-Town native displays an interesting, subdued flow, but the strength of this record comes from his lyrical output. Lilly tells the tale of a lovestruck drug dealer in bars that are so descriptive, they almost sound like spoken-word poetry set to music. If Anti-Lilly’s narrative skills have you falling in love like his sprung dealer, then you should be sure to keep an eye out for his Memoirs & The 90’s Project, set to drop by month’s end.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Million Stories" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.