Since Common’s legendary cut, I Used To Love H.E.R, more than a few rappers have borrowed the premise as a vehicle for their own opinions on the state of hip-hop. From the title of Anti-Lilly‘s latest effort, Clarissa (Used 2 Love Her), you might think he is just the latest emcee to personify his genre as a woman, but Anti’s story of love gone awry is much different from any that have come before it. LA Beatz’ jazzy, minimalist boardwork leaves the emcee ample room to shine, and shine he does. The H-Town native displays an interesting, subdued flow, but the strength of this record comes from his lyrical output. Lilly tells the tale of a lovestruck drug dealer in bars that are so descriptive, they almost sound like spoken-word poetry set to music. If Anti-Lilly’s narrative skills have you falling in love like his sprung dealer, then you should be sure to keep an eye out for his Memoirs & The 90’s Project, set to drop by month’s end.
Written by Lucas G. on 05/9/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Million Stories" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)