Every big dreamer has one or more idols, who guide their efforts and exemplify what they wish to become. ANTHM‘s just so happens to be a flaming ball of gas, not another rapper. Determined to “...shine like the greatest,” the Life Imitates Art emcee patterns himself after Polaris, the Northern pole star and the brightest member of Ursa Minor, on a brand new single off his next EP. RJF keeps it smooth and dreamy on the production tip, flipping a sample from singer/songwriter James Vincent McMorrow’s haunting If I Had a Boat as the Ethiopian-American spitter rhymes about the legacy he hopes to leave behind in the game. In the process, he showcases a combo of internal rhyme, wit and imagery that will leave few lyrical heads unimpressed: “Driven by competitive edge, fully-fledged / on the edge, next to veteran heads like Mt. Rushmore.” Cali underground mainstay Blu guests, looking forward to the day when he gets his much-deserved shine in a self-assured middle verse. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on ANTHM’s Joy & Pain EP, scheduled for release June 12. Additionally, listeners who happen to reside in the Big Apple will be able to catch both ANTHM and Blu rocking the stage at SOB’s June 13.
Written by richard on 05/17/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Life Imitates Art" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)