In your typical unexpected-pregnancy story, the big question is whether the man will step up to the plate and support his child. But what about when the woman decides she doesn’t want the father in her life, or that of their child? Such is the case for up-and-coming R&B singer Ant Chedda, who laments the fact that the girl he loves is starting a life without him on album standout Last to Know. Backed by AbJo‘s lightly jazzy piano chords and layered vocal harmonies, the Californian crooner pleads with the woman in question to set aside her preconceptions about him and allow him into the family circle—or, a least, to give him an assurance that she’s strong enough to “do this alone.” And, just in case his direct pleas aren’t persuasive enough, the artist says it with a song-within-a-song; on the back, he illustrates his dream of their life together with a snippet from Jodeci’s Forever My Lady. If this poignant cut is any indication of the project’s quality, R&B fans are sure to be on Ant Chedda’s latest full-length like, well, ants on chedda. Released July 19, Homie Lover Friend is available now online.
Written by richard on 07/27/11
Live At The Dojo / Breakstone Productions
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)