In your typical unexpected-pregnancy story, the big question is whether the man will step up to the plate and support his child. But what about when the woman decides she doesn’t want the father in her life, or that of their child? Such is the case for up-and-coming R&B singer Ant Chedda, who laments the fact that the girl he loves is starting a life without him on album standout Last to Know. Backed by AbJo‘s lightly jazzy piano chords and layered vocal harmonies, the Californian crooner pleads with the woman in question to set aside her preconceptions about him and allow him into the family circle—or, a least, to give him an assurance that she’s strong enough to “do this alone.” And, just in case his direct pleas aren’t persuasive enough, the artist says it with a song-within-a-song; on the back, he illustrates his dream of their life together with a snippet from Jodeci’s Forever My Lady. If this poignant cut is any indication of the project’s quality, R&B fans are sure to be on Ant Chedda’s latest full-length like, well, ants on chedda. Released July 19, Homie Lover Friend is available now online.
Written by richard on 07/27/11
Submit your Rating
Live At The Dojo / Breakstone Productions
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.