It’s about time. I’ve been waiting for years for hip-hop to finally pay tribute to classic ‘80s movie Working Girl. God, Melanie Griffith is so hilarious in that. Wait, what’s that? Angel Haze’s new track has nothing to do the movie, and her girls aren’t working girls, they’re more like Werkin Girls? Well then, I guess my wait continues, but at least I’ve got some dope new music to console me. Producer TK Kayembe lays down an appropriately twerked beat, layering the instrumental with skittering percussion and enough bass to shatter windows. But fittingly the real story here is Haze’s work on the mic as she goes ham for three minutes, speeding up her flow to a breakneck pace while dropping no shortage of “she said what?” lines: “I’m an undefeated bastard / my tongue is the fu**king rapture / I am at my peak, I am not the one to be mastered.” To hear Haze put in an entire EP’s worth of
werk, hit The DJBooth next Tuesday, July 17, for our exclusive release of her Reservation EP. Until then, good luck decoding this one…
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/12
Submit your Rating
Noizy Cricket!!/Universal Republic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jungle Fever (Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.