It’s about time. I’ve been waiting for years for hip-hop to finally pay tribute to classic ‘80s movie Working Girl. God, Melanie Griffith is so hilarious in that. Wait, what’s that? Angel Haze’s new track has nothing to do the movie, and her girls aren’t working girls, they’re more like Werkin Girls? Well then, I guess my wait continues, but at least I’ve got some dope new music to console me. Producer TK Kayembe lays down an appropriately twerked beat, layering the instrumental with skittering percussion and enough bass to shatter windows. But fittingly the real story here is Haze’s work on the mic as she goes ham for three minutes, speeding up her flow to a breakneck pace while dropping no shortage of “she said what?” lines: “I’m an undefeated bastard / my tongue is the fu**king rapture / I am at my peak, I am not the one to be mastered.” To hear Haze put in an entire EP’s worth of
werk, hit The DJBooth next Tuesday, July 17, for our exclusive release of her Reservation EP. Until then, good luck decoding this one…
Written by Nathan S. on 07/11/12
Submit your Rating
Noizy Cricket!!/Universal Republic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jungle Fever (Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)