What does it mean to be Unfresh? Well, in a recent interview, first-time Booth featuree Andy Allo explains that it’s all about “...being original, not conforming, and being yourself.” So it’s kinda like being fresh… but different. Confusing? Yeah, a little – whatever you want to call her, though, the Cameroon-born, Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter/model comes with a genre-blending sound that’s as ear-pleasing as it is unconventional, as evidenced by this standout track off her debut LP. DreamLand finds Allo drawing inspiration from Wizard of Oz classic Somewhere Over the Rainbow (according to the same interview cited above), showcasing her breezy vocal stylings over a lushly sampled, harp-laced instrumental (co-produced by the artist and Mind Majors). Fellow Californian Blu brings his breathy, expressionistic touch to the second verse, and joins the headliner for a little flirtatious line-trading on the back end. Impressed by Andy Allo’s (un)fresh alternative/hip-hop/soul sound? Grab a copy of her debut set, released Sept. 22 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 11/3/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.