What does it mean to be Unfresh? Well, in a recent interview, first-time Booth featuree Andy Allo explains that it’s all about “...being original, not conforming, and being yourself.” So it’s kinda like being fresh… but different. Confusing? Yeah, a little – whatever you want to call her, though, the Cameroon-born, Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter/model comes with a genre-blending sound that’s as ear-pleasing as it is unconventional, as evidenced by this standout track off her debut LP. DreamLand finds Allo drawing inspiration from Wizard of Oz classic Somewhere Over the Rainbow (according to the same interview cited above), showcasing her breezy vocal stylings over a lushly sampled, harp-laced instrumental (co-produced by the artist and Mind Majors). Fellow Californian Blu brings his breathy, expressionistic touch to the second verse, and joins the headliner for a little flirtatious line-trading on the back end. Impressed by Andy Allo’s (un)fresh alternative/hip-hop/soul sound? Grab a copy of her debut set, released Sept. 22 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 11/3/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.