What does it mean to be Unfresh? Well, in a recent interview, first-time Booth featuree Andy Allo explains that it’s all about “...being original, not conforming, and being yourself.” So it’s kinda like being fresh… but different. Confusing? Yeah, a little – whatever you want to call her, though, the Cameroon-born, Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter/model comes with a genre-blending sound that’s as ear-pleasing as it is unconventional, as evidenced by this standout track off her debut LP. DreamLand finds Allo drawing inspiration from Wizard of Oz classic Somewhere Over the Rainbow (according to the same interview cited above), showcasing her breezy vocal stylings over a lushly sampled, harp-laced instrumental (co-produced by the artist and Mind Majors). Fellow Californian Blu brings his breathy, expressionistic touch to the second verse, and joins the headliner for a little flirtatious line-trading on the back end. Impressed by Andy Allo’s (un)fresh alternative/hip-hop/soul sound? Grab a copy of her debut set, released Sept. 22 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 11/3/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.