What does it mean to be Unfresh? Well, in a recent interview, first-time Booth featuree Andy Allo explains that it’s all about “...being original, not conforming, and being yourself.” So it’s kinda like being fresh… but different. Confusing? Yeah, a little – whatever you want to call her, though, the Cameroon-born, Los Angeles-based singer/songwriter/model comes with a genre-blending sound that’s as ear-pleasing as it is unconventional, as evidenced by this standout track off her debut LP. DreamLand finds Allo drawing inspiration from Wizard of Oz classic Somewhere Over the Rainbow (according to the same interview cited above), showcasing her breezy vocal stylings over a lushly sampled, harp-laced instrumental (co-produced by the artist and Mind Majors). Fellow Californian Blu brings his breathy, expressionistic touch to the second verse, and joins the headliner for a little flirtatious line-trading on the back end. Impressed by Andy Allo’s (un)fresh alternative/hip-hop/soul sound? Grab a copy of her debut set, released Sept. 22 and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 11/3/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.