Last we heard from Anderson .Paak, it was December of 2013 and he was mourning a lost love on his understated rendition of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ Maps. The So-Cal native’s first feature of the new year is also a meditation on modern romance, but the “love” in question on promo single Drugs is not the tragic, doomed kind; it’s more the anonymous, physical variety. Backed by Lodef‘s raucous, trap-infused grooves, the artist formerly known as Breezy Lovejoy celebrates the understanding that exists between him and a certain woman: “We don’t really talk / All we do is sex and leave.” This ode to narcotic-fueled jump-offs is slated to appear on forthcoming street album Malibu, due out this spring. In the meantime, fans can still stream and download .Paak’s recently-released covers collection, Cover Art, for free in the Booth.
Update: We have added the Mike Dempsey-directed visuals for Anderson’s Drugs single.
Written by richard on 08/5/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.