“Tragedy” isn’t a word I throw around lightly but, when one of the most talented soul vocalists of our generation slowly and painfully self-destructs on the international stage, I can’t think of another word that fits. To honor to the memory of Amy Winehouse, who died this past Saturday after a long and public struggle with substance abuse (though the cause of death has not yet been determined), Dungeon Family heavyweight Big Boi has enlisted beat crew Organized Noize (Rico Wade, Ray Murray and Sleepy Brown) to remix My Tears Will Dry on Their Own, a thematically appropriate joint off the singer’s sophomore LP, Back in Black. For their reimagining of the single, the ATL producers switch Salaam Remi‘s vintage, Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terell-sampled instrumental for something slightly more modern, pairing elegiac piano with a stop-start rhythm section to achieve a cutting-edge yet classic effect. A fresh yet reverent tribute to the fallen soul songstress, this joint will undoubtedly strike a chord with fans mourning Winehouse’s loss—and inspire many who haven’t listened lately to revisit her back catalog. (I know I will.)
Written by richard on 07/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Know I'm No Good" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.