“Tragedy” isn’t a word I throw around lightly but, when one of the most talented soul vocalists of our generation slowly and painfully self-destructs on the international stage, I can’t think of another word that fits. To honor to the memory of Amy Winehouse, who died this past Saturday after a long and public struggle with substance abuse (though the cause of death has not yet been determined), Dungeon Family heavyweight Big Boi has enlisted beat crew Organized Noize (Rico Wade, Ray Murray and Sleepy Brown) to remix My Tears Will Dry on Their Own, a thematically appropriate joint off the singer’s sophomore LP, Back in Black. For their reimagining of the single, the ATL producers switch Salaam Remi‘s vintage, Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terell-sampled instrumental for something slightly more modern, pairing elegiac piano with a stop-start rhythm section to achieve a cutting-edge yet classic effect. A fresh yet reverent tribute to the fallen soul songstress, this joint will undoubtedly strike a chord with fans mourning Winehouse’s loss—and inspire many who haven’t listened lately to revisit her back catalog. (I know I will.)
Written by richard on 07/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Know I'm No Good" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.