Though Amy Winehouse was only able to release two full albums’ worth of material before her life was tragically cut short, the late singer’s cohorts are tying up loose ends and giving her the proper send-off with a final, posthumous release. (But just one—Salaam Remi assured an NME interviewer the album wouldn’t lead to a “Tupac situation.”) Like Smoke, one of two cuts just leaked off the project, is a characteristically timeless soul burner with a timely rap twist; though Remi’s gauzy instrumental and Winehouse’s rough-edged yet heartstring-tugging vocals drip with the usual vintage influences, Queensbridge stalwart Nas devotes his guest bars to topics that are decidedly of-the-moment: “Evaluate the World Bank Trust like I’m IMG / Those fly suites and my bourgeoisie tall freak, she wouldn’t protest with me on Wall Street.” The result stands shoulder-to-shoulder with many of the crooner’s previous hits—or have I got it twisted? If you approve, more Hidden Treasures await on Amy Winehouse’s Lioness LP, scheduled to hit stores and online retailers December 5.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Know I'm No Good ft. Amy Winehouse" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.