Though Amy Winehouse was only able to release two full albums’ worth of material before her life was tragically cut short, the late singer’s cohorts are tying up loose ends and giving her the proper send-off with a final, posthumous release. (But just one—Salaam Remi assured an NME interviewer the album wouldn’t lead to a “Tupac situation.”) Like Smoke, one of two cuts just leaked off the project, is a characteristically timeless soul burner with a timely rap twist; though Remi’s gauzy instrumental and Winehouse’s rough-edged yet heartstring-tugging vocals drip with the usual vintage influences, Queensbridge stalwart Nas devotes his guest bars to topics that are decidedly of-the-moment: “Evaluate the World Bank Trust like I’m IMG / Those fly suites and my bourgeoisie tall freak, she wouldn’t protest with me on Wall Street.” The result stands shoulder-to-shoulder with many of the crooner’s previous hits—or have I got it twisted? If you approve, more Hidden Treasures await on Amy Winehouse’s Lioness LP, scheduled to hit stores and online retailers December 5.
Written by richard on 11/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You Know I'm No Good ft. Amy Winehouse" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.