Though Amiyj owes as much to Jay-Z and Nas as any NYC rapper, he sets himself apart from the pack with an R&B, rock ‘n’ roll, and alternative-influenced style that’s more gentleman than gangsta. On Velour, the up-and-comer’s first Booth feature, Amiyj employs a wordplay style halfway between Hova and Kanye—it’ll take at least three listens to catch every punchline he spits here. Bezo exhibits the telltale signs of ‘Ye-itis on the production tip; his sampled horn-percussion groove is reminiscent of past Mr. Carter-Mr. West collaborations (Heart of the City springs to mind). Though the rapper’s debut album has yet to receive a title or release date, it’s jams like this one that turn industry tastemakers’ heads. Amiyj, if you’re reading this, how about spitting a few bars for our exclusive freestyle series?
Listen to More: Amiyj
Written by Burmy on 07/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In the Booth" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.