Though Amiyj owes as much to Jay-Z and Nas as any NYC rapper, he sets himself apart from the pack with an R&B, rock ‘n’ roll, and alternative-influenced style that’s more gentleman than gangsta. On Velour, the up-and-comer’s first Booth feature, Amiyj employs a wordplay style halfway between Hova and Kanye—it’ll take at least three listens to catch every punchline he spits here. Bezo exhibits the telltale signs of ‘Ye-itis on the production tip; his sampled horn-percussion groove is reminiscent of past Mr. Carter-Mr. West collaborations (Heart of the City springs to mind). Though the rapper’s debut album has yet to receive a title or release date, it’s jams like this one that turn industry tastemakers’ heads. Amiyj, if you’re reading this, how about spitting a few bars for our exclusive freestyle series?
Written by Burmy on 07/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In the Booth" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.