Though Amiyj owes as much to Jay-Z and Nas as any NYC rapper, he sets himself apart from the pack with an R&B, rock ‘n’ roll, and alternative-influenced style that’s more gentleman than gangsta. On Velour, the up-and-comer’s first Booth feature, Amiyj employs a wordplay style halfway between Hova and Kanye—it’ll take at least three listens to catch every punchline he spits here. Bezo exhibits the telltale signs of ‘Ye-itis on the production tip; his sampled horn-percussion groove is reminiscent of past Mr. Carter-Mr. West collaborations (Heart of the City springs to mind). Though the rapper’s debut album has yet to receive a title or release date, it’s jams like this one that turn industry tastemakers’ heads. Amiyj, if you’re reading this, how about spitting a few bars for our exclusive freestyle series?
Listen to More: Amiyj
Written by Burmy on 07/29/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"In the Booth" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.