Time to separate the true hipsters from the poseurs. Can you name the group who wrote the classic cut Aloe Blacc covers on his second solo feature, and the album it originally appeared on? If you answered “The Velvet Underground, and their 1967 debut LP, The Velvet Underground & Nico,” give yourself a pat on the back. If not, put down the skinny jeans and back away slowly. This makeover of the bittersweet Femme Fatale finds producer Truth+Soul trading the Velvets’ minimal instrumentation for a lusher live-band beat (in 6/8 time!) as the Los Angeles native describes a chick with a habit of building men up just to knock ‘em down. Blacc’s emotionally cathartic, multilayered delivery of the iconic cut’s rueful lyrics, along with the old-school soul instrumental add up to an undeniably inspired take on the original. The Left Coast hopeful’s forthcoming full-length has yet to receive a solid release date from the folks at Stone’s Throw, but Good Things come(s) to those who wait – in the meantime, why not check out this newly-released video clip, in which Blacc shares the story behind the Booth-acclaimed I Need a Dollar with our friends at Rubyhornet.com?
Written by richard on 06/23/10
Submit your Rating
XIX Recordings / Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I need a Dollar (How to Make It in America)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.