In a globally connected digital age, where the old becomes new again as fast as the new becomes old, it can feel like we’ve heard it all before. So to be clear, we have heard Allen Stone’s music before. It’s the same music that’s been made by truly gifted artists for the last 50 years. It’s hard to sound classic on your first DJBooth feature, but that’s exactly what Stone’s pulled off on Contact High. While stoners may be disappointed at the song’s lack of special brownies, the rest of us will feel uplifted by the Chewelah, WA native’s voice, a voice that will inevitably draw comparisons to [insert legendary R&B/soul singer of your choice here, I’ll go with Stevie Wonder]. All of Allen’s soaring vocals are backed by some live instrument and background singer enhanced production by Andy Rose that’s as joyous as the headliner’s lyrics. Remember people, there’s nothing wrong with feeling happy, and since music’s my Contact High I won’t front, I’m smiling right now. Fresh off his fortchoming SOB’s headling show, Allen will release his self-titled new album next Tuesday (10/4) via iTunes.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/26/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.