In a globally connected digital age, where the old becomes new again as fast as the new becomes old, it can feel like we’ve heard it all before. So to be clear, we have heard Allen Stone’s music before. It’s the same music that’s been made by truly gifted artists for the last 50 years. It’s hard to sound classic on your first DJBooth feature, but that’s exactly what Stone’s pulled off on Contact High. While stoners may be disappointed at the song’s lack of special brownies, the rest of us will feel uplifted by the Chewelah, WA native’s voice, a voice that will inevitably draw comparisons to [insert legendary R&B/soul singer of your choice here, I’ll go with Stevie Wonder]. All of Allen’s soaring vocals are backed by some live instrument and background singer enhanced production by Andy Rose that’s as joyous as the headliner’s lyrics. Remember people, there’s nothing wrong with feeling happy, and since music’s my Contact High I won’t front, I’m smiling right now. Fresh off his fortchoming SOB’s headling show, Allen will release his self-titled new album next Tuesday (10/4) via iTunes.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.