In a globally connected digital age, where the old becomes new again as fast as the new becomes old, it can feel like we’ve heard it all before. So to be clear, we have heard Allen Stone’s music before. It’s the same music that’s been made by truly gifted artists for the last 50 years. It’s hard to sound classic on your first DJBooth feature, but that’s exactly what Stone’s pulled off on Contact High. While stoners may be disappointed at the song’s lack of special brownies, the rest of us will feel uplifted by the Chewelah, WA native’s voice, a voice that will inevitably draw comparisons to [insert legendary R&B/soul singer of your choice here, I’ll go with Stevie Wonder]. All of Allen’s soaring vocals are backed by some live instrument and background singer enhanced production by Andy Rose that’s as joyous as the headliner’s lyrics. Remember people, there’s nothing wrong with feeling happy, and since music’s my Contact High I won’t front, I’m smiling right now. Fresh off his fortchoming SOB’s headling show, Allen will release his self-titled new album next Tuesday (10/4) via iTunes.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/26/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.