More than five months after Drake did some ad-lib work on Alicia Keys’ aching beautiful Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready), for my money the best song off her The Element of Freedom album, Drizzy’s back to finish what he started on Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready) (Remix). Here Noah “40” Shebib’s original, dreamy beat is untouched, as are Alicia’s haunting vocals, so the focus is entirely on Drizzy’s mic work. While vocally Drake certainly comes with it, dropping the kind of openly personal verse that’s earned him an army of adoring fans (“Rescue me from my destiny, I’m trying to live life and give you what’s left of me.”), I can’t help but be disappointed that he didn’t maintain the “unthinkable” theme more strongly. Then again, maybe I’m just mad at Drake because I like to listen to Un-Thinkable and imagine Alicia’s singing to me, an illusion his presence completely ruins. Hey, at least I’m honest. So how about it Booth? Original or remix? It’s decision time. And if you haven’t picked up a copy of Element of Freedom yet, shame on you. Shame.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.