More than five months after Drake did some ad-lib work on Alicia Keys’ aching beautiful Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready), for my money the best song off her The Element of Freedom album, Drizzy’s back to finish what he started on Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready) (Remix). Here Noah “40” Shebib’s original, dreamy beat is untouched, as are Alicia’s haunting vocals, so the focus is entirely on Drizzy’s mic work. While vocally Drake certainly comes with it, dropping the kind of openly personal verse that’s earned him an army of adoring fans (“Rescue me from my destiny, I’m trying to live life and give you what’s left of me.”), I can’t help but be disappointed that he didn’t maintain the “unthinkable” theme more strongly. Then again, maybe I’m just mad at Drake because I like to listen to Un-Thinkable and imagine Alicia’s singing to me, an illusion his presence completely ruins. Hey, at least I’m honest. So how about it Booth? Original or remix? It’s decision time. And if you haven’t picked up a copy of Element of Freedom yet, shame on you. Shame.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.