Sounds like someone’s been listening to the new Kanye album! I mean, a lot of people have, but I’m concerned with one in particular: Swizz Beatz, whose latest Monster Mondays joint (released Dec. 27 as the final installment of 2010) finds him mining the same sample source as Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy standout cut Devil in a New Dress. Slow-rolling ballad Speechless sees the beatsmith harvesting a mellow R&B groove from Smokey Robinson’s (brilliant) rendition of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as R&B heavyweight Alicia Keys serenades a fella who was nowhere to be found when morning came. Providing moral support on the guest tip, veteran-on-the-verge-of-a-comeback Eve bares her heart on the back, concluding: “Now I’m speechless, ‘cause I fell for him, the poet in me died cause I fell for him.” Would it be paradoxical to note that that line is, itself, pretty damn poetic? Because it is. While Swizzy’s series has, to date, been somewhat hit-or-miss, Speechless seems to fall squarely into the latter category. Or have I got it twisted? You tell me – and keep it locked you-know-where for the next MM entry, reportedly titled Swizz World.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.