Sounds like someone’s been listening to the new Kanye album! I mean, a lot of people have, but I’m concerned with one in particular: Swizz Beatz, whose latest Monster Mondays joint (released Dec. 27 as the final installment of 2010) finds him mining the same sample source as Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy standout cut Devil in a New Dress. Slow-rolling ballad Speechless sees the beatsmith harvesting a mellow R&B groove from Smokey Robinson’s (brilliant) rendition of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as R&B heavyweight Alicia Keys serenades a fella who was nowhere to be found when morning came. Providing moral support on the guest tip, veteran-on-the-verge-of-a-comeback Eve bares her heart on the back, concluding: “Now I’m speechless, ‘cause I fell for him, the poet in me died cause I fell for him.” Would it be paradoxical to note that that line is, itself, pretty damn poetic? Because it is. While Swizzy’s series has, to date, been somewhat hit-or-miss, Speechless seems to fall squarely into the latter category. Or have I got it twisted? You tell me – and keep it locked you-know-where for the next MM entry, reportedly titled Swizz World.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.