Sounds like someone’s been listening to the new Kanye album! I mean, a lot of people have, but I’m concerned with one in particular: Swizz Beatz, whose latest Monster Mondays joint (released Dec. 27 as the final installment of 2010) finds him mining the same sample source as Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy standout cut Devil in a New Dress. Slow-rolling ballad Speechless sees the beatsmith harvesting a mellow R&B groove from Smokey Robinson’s (brilliant) rendition of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as R&B heavyweight Alicia Keys serenades a fella who was nowhere to be found when morning came. Providing moral support on the guest tip, veteran-on-the-verge-of-a-comeback Eve bares her heart on the back, concluding: “Now I’m speechless, ‘cause I fell for him, the poet in me died cause I fell for him.” Would it be paradoxical to note that that line is, itself, pretty damn poetic? Because it is. While Swizzy’s series has, to date, been somewhat hit-or-miss, Speechless seems to fall squarely into the latter category. Or have I got it twisted? You tell me – and keep it locked you-know-where for the next MM entry, reportedly titled Swizz World.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.