Sounds like someone’s been listening to the new Kanye album! I mean, a lot of people have, but I’m concerned with one in particular: Swizz Beatz, whose latest Monster Mondays joint (released Dec. 27 as the final installment of 2010) finds him mining the same sample source as Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy standout cut Devil in a New Dress. Slow-rolling ballad Speechless sees the beatsmith harvesting a mellow R&B groove from Smokey Robinson’s (brilliant) rendition of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow as R&B heavyweight Alicia Keys serenades a fella who was nowhere to be found when morning came. Providing moral support on the guest tip, veteran-on-the-verge-of-a-comeback Eve bares her heart on the back, concluding: “Now I’m speechless, ‘cause I fell for him, the poet in me died cause I fell for him.” Would it be paradoxical to note that that line is, itself, pretty damn poetic? Because it is. While Swizzy’s series has, to date, been somewhat hit-or-miss, Speechless seems to fall squarely into the latter category. Or have I got it twisted? You tell me – and keep it locked you-know-where for the next MM entry, reportedly titled Swizz World.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.