Update: Click “Watch Video” above to view the Girl On Fire video. Mobile users can scroll down.
Somebody call 911… sh*t, wrong song. While the lead single (original pick New Day has been handed off to 50 Cent for his own forthcoming set) and album title track from Alicia Keys shares its central image—that of a female human bursting into flames for no observable reason—with a certain 2009 dance-pop hit, Girl on Fire‘s themes could hardy be more different. Instead of creating a raging conflagration in the club (and making male onlookers’ pants suddenly feel two sizes too small) with her alluring dance moves, the woman that Keys describes here is ablaze with ambition and creative potential. Backed by an anthemic set of piano chords and some addictive, heavily-overdriven percussion courtesy of Jeff Bhasker and Salaam Remi, this joint is a little poppier than the veteran singer/songwriter’s usual fare; will it succeed in heating up the airwaves, as well as warming the hearts of Keys’ hardcore fans? Though Girl on Fire (the album) doesn’t drop till November 28, those digging this record can purchase it, along with the Nicki Minaj-assisted Inferno Remix and a Blue Light Version, now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 10/20/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.