When we featured Empire State of Mind back in September, Booth readers seemed to agree that, though Hova turned in a star performance on the mic, hookwoman Alicia Keys’ guest vocals were the true, um key (I’m not even going to dignify that by calling it a pun) to the track’s success. If that was your take, Empire State of Mind Pt. 2 (Broken Down), an all-Alicia reinterpretation of the hit single set to appear on the singer’s fourth studio album, should be right up your alley. Over her and Kerry “Krucial” Brothers’ pared-down, piano-led instrumental, Keys paints a vivid, warts-and-all portrait of her famed hometown: “Such a melting pot, on the corner selling rock, preachers pray to God…” Needless to say, that killer chorus hits home as hard as ever – particularly when the drums kick in for the record’s climax. How does Keys’ take stack up against the original? As always, I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. ESoM2 isn’t slated for promotion as an official single, but it will be available for purchase from online retailers prior to the December 14 release of Keys’ latest full-length, The Element of Freedom.
Written by richard on 11/25/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.