Those who follow underground emcee Ali Vegas know that the Jamaica, Queens native is not afraid to get serious – his last Booth feature, It’s So Hard, discussed the gritty realities of life on the streets, and a newly-released mixtape record finds him forging ahead into even more melancholy territory. On If I, Vegas tackles the tough existential questions that plague regular individuals struggling to keep faith during difficult times. Over a somber, acoustic guitar-laced beat by J. Nice, he places listeners in the shoes of a worker in the World Trade Center on 9/11, and later those of a soldier on the front lines in Iraq, reaching out to those searching for spiritual sustenance in a world where life can seem tragically cheap. Portland, Jamaica-bred singer/songwriter/producer Goldenchyl contributes a plaintive, reggae-tinged hook on which he looks to the Lord to guide him through his trials and tribulations. If I is a potential single choice off Vegas’s Generation Gap 2: The Prequel mixtape, which is available now at select stores and online retailers.
Listen to More: Ali Vegas Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Future ft. Termanology" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.