Those who follow underground emcee Ali Vegas know that the Jamaica, Queens native is not afraid to get serious – his last Booth feature, It’s So Hard, discussed the gritty realities of life on the streets, and a newly-released mixtape record finds him forging ahead into even more melancholy territory. On If I, Vegas tackles the tough existential questions that plague regular individuals struggling to keep faith during difficult times. Over a somber, acoustic guitar-laced beat by J. Nice, he places listeners in the shoes of a worker in the World Trade Center on 9/11, and later those of a soldier on the front lines in Iraq, reaching out to those searching for spiritual sustenance in a world where life can seem tragically cheap. Portland, Jamaica-bred singer/songwriter/producer Goldenchyl contributes a plaintive, reggae-tinged hook on which he looks to the Lord to guide him through his trials and tribulations. If I is a potential single choice off Vegas’s Generation Gap 2: The Prequel mixtape, which is available now at select stores and online retailers.
Listen to More: Ali Vegas
Written by richard on 01/8/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Future ft. Termanology" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.