Remember Mork and Mindy, the late-eighties/early-seventies sitcom starring Robin Williams as a manic extraterrestrial from the planet Ork? Alfamega apparently does, as he’s repurposed Mork’s catchphrase as the title and hook of a newly-released record. Off the emcee’s long-delayed debut LP, I Am Alfamega, Na Nu is a mishmash of science-fiction catchphrases and bizarre boasts in the tradition of Weezy‘s Phone Home. Though Alfa’s planetary puns are entertainingly unhinged, his sleepy delivery makes the verses a little hard to follow – the faster, more aggressive flow he employed on Head Banger suits him better. On the production tip, Nard & B deliver a suitably spacey mix of cheesy organ riffs and bumping bass that, oddly enough, sounds as if it was inspired by Leontovych’s Christmas classic, Carol of the Bells. I Am Alfamega has been pushed back numerous times, but if all goes right, it won’t be long till the ATL rapper gets to say “Na-nu, na-nu.” to listeners nationwide.
Written by richard on 01/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hurt ft. Alfamega & Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.