Remember Mork and Mindy, the late-eighties/early-seventies sitcom starring Robin Williams as a manic extraterrestrial from the planet Ork? Alfamega apparently does, as he’s repurposed Mork’s catchphrase as the title and hook of a newly-released record. Off the emcee’s long-delayed debut LP, I Am Alfamega, Na Nu is a mishmash of science-fiction catchphrases and bizarre boasts in the tradition of Weezy‘s Phone Home. Though Alfa’s planetary puns are entertainingly unhinged, his sleepy delivery makes the verses a little hard to follow – the faster, more aggressive flow he employed on Head Banger suits him better. On the production tip, Nard & B deliver a suitably spacey mix of cheesy organ riffs and bumping bass that, oddly enough, sounds as if it was inspired by Leontovych’s Christmas classic, Carol of the Bells. I Am Alfamega has been pushed back numerous times, but if all goes right, it won’t be long till the ATL rapper gets to say “Na-nu, na-nu.” to listeners nationwide.
Written by richard on 01/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hurt ft. Alfamega & Busta Rhymes" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.