Upon hearing Chance The Rapper’s Good Ass Intro, off his newly-released Acid Rap project, I immediately got that “oh sh*t” feeling that first came over me after first listening to Kanye way back in 2002. One reason for the nostalgia is that it actually sampled West, but the larger reason is because Chance’s music contains that soulful Chicago sound I fell in love with as a 14-year-old. Well, if you shared that same feeling with me last month, then you’ll share it again today as you press play on on Alex Wiley’s Spaceship II, a pseudo-sequel to Kanye’s Spaceship from his debut classic College Dropout. Produced by Wes Freeman, Spaceship II features a soul sample and blaring horns where Wiley and the aforementioned Chance take turns dropping verses, and to complete the circle Kanye’s (former) right-hand man GLC provides some of his signature and insightful Isms. It’s looking more and more like the latest generation of Chicago emcees are poised to truly make their mark. If you like what you heard on Spaceships II, be sure to check out Wiley’s debut mixtape, Club Wiley, out now thanks to Closed Sessions.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 06/6/13
Chicago buzzmaker Alex Wiley, a rough and tumble, hard-nosed, no holds barred emcee, who has circulated the Blogosphere through the first five months of 2013, has something to prove. But what could a relative newcomer need to...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.