As his stage name suggests, Booth newcomer Aleon Craft styles himself as a musical Flash Gordon, searching every corner of the universe for artistic inspiration and fresh new sounds. Whatever the truth may be, the inaugural leak off the Atlanta-based space cadet’s latest mixtape leak certainly feels like it was dreamt up somewhere far from Earth’s surface. This loose cover of Smokey Robinson-penned Motown smash The Way You Do the Things You Do trades the Funk Brothers’ upbeat arrangement for an off-kilter, narcotically chill electronic groove by SMKA‘s 808 Blake, and the Temptations’ soulful vocals for Aleon’s near-whispered harmonies. On the back end, the artist switches things up with a rapped 16, lacing his bouncy bars with pop-referential come-ons. So, is Aleon’s “Solar-hop” reinterpretation of the classic cut so fresh that it’s out of this world, or should it be swept away with the rest of the cosmic debris? If you find A.C.‘s left-of-center sound to be downright stellar, you won’t want to miss the new material he’s set to showcase on The Prologue Pt. 1, scheduled to take the galaxy by storm March 15.
Written by richard on 03/2/10
Submit your Rating
SMKA Productions, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Spaced Out" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.