Since Matrix references are passé, I’m gonna take it way back with this one. Remember John Carpenter’s They Live, the low-budget ‘80s classic in which Rowdy Roddy Piper, with the help of some magic shades, discovered an otherworldly conspiracy underpinning consumer culture? Well, Aleon Craft‘s latest single, Look Twice, is like that, except it’s the benevolent extraterrestrial demanding that you put on the damn glasses and take a gander at what humanity has wrought. Booth-approved crew SMKA lend their skills behind the boards, using chilly synth arpeggios to set a paranoia-laced mood as the freestyle series alum pulls back reality’s veil. Though Craft’s bars drip with his trademark eccentricity (”I can make you shiver like an infant with no onesie”), he doesn’t miss the chance to call attention to legit social issues, from the lack of direction among today’s youth to the disappearance of public housing. So, do you choose to
take the red pill
put on those glasses? If so, you can expect plenty more dope tunes where this came from on the DJ Smallz-hosted Mothership Decatur, Aleon’s final mixtape before the arrival of debut album Solar-Hop Chronicles.
SMKA Productions, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Do the Things You Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.