Since Matrix references are passé, I’m gonna take it way back with this one. Remember John Carpenter’s They Live, the low-budget ‘80s classic in which Rowdy Roddy Piper, with the help of some magic shades, discovered an otherworldly conspiracy underpinning consumer culture? Well, Aleon Craft‘s latest single, Look Twice, is like that, except it’s the benevolent extraterrestrial demanding that you put on the damn glasses and take a gander at what humanity has wrought. Booth-approved crew SMKA lend their skills behind the boards, using chilly synth arpeggios to set a paranoia-laced mood as the freestyle series alum pulls back reality’s veil. Though Craft’s bars drip with his trademark eccentricity (”I can make you shiver like an infant with no onesie”), he doesn’t miss the chance to call attention to legit social issues, from the lack of direction among today’s youth to the disappearance of public housing. So, do you choose to
take the red pill
put on those glasses? If so, you can expect plenty more dope tunes where this came from on the DJ Smallz-hosted Mothership Decatur, Aleon’s final mixtape before the arrival of debut album Solar-Hop Chronicles.
Written by richard on 03/6/11
Submit your Rating
SMKA Productions, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Do the Things You Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.