The ever-eccentric Aleon Craft may sound like he hails from “another dimension,” but his off-the-wall creativity and spirit of experimentalism are rooted right here on Earth – specifically, in the inner-city streets. Ghetto Dope, the latest leak off Aleon’s forthcoming street album, finds the freestyle series contributor hooking up with a fellow ATL native to pledge allegiance to the ‘hood. Flowing over the slow-burning Southern synth boardwork of frequent behind-the-boards collaborator SMKA, the Backwudz alumnus comes with more of the free-associated dopeness fans have come to know and love, spitting a dense collage of political commentary, out-the-box imagery and just-plain-craziness: “Inflammation, inflation, information gets hidden like hide-and-go-seek… everybody say goodbye to the beat, rest in peace, but the vibe helps the aliens speak alien speech.” Dungeon Family affiliate Backbone guests, bringing a little deadpan grit to the record’s back end. Clearly, Craft and his cohorts aren’t about to sell their “ghetto soul” for any amount of fame and fortune – a commitment to realness which bodes well for the artist’s Mothership Decatur mixtape, coming in April.
Written by richard on 03/23/11
Submit your Rating
SMKA Productions, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Way You Do the Things You Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.