DNA’s hit remix of Suzanne Vega cut Tom’s Diner has already inspired three reader-acclaimed jams: posthumously-released 2Pac track Dopefiend’s Diner, Mike Dreams’ Tha Diner, and Gorilla Zoe‘s On the Corner. Those are three tough acts to follow, but Booth newcomer Al Gator knows he’s up to the challenge—on his new single/”hood national anthem,” the College Park up-and-comer teams up with Aftermath beatsmith Focus to flip that “Dat da da da, dat-da da da” chorus into a track so fresh even the most jaded listeners will be Feelin’ It. Superimposing the sample over simmering synths and hard-hitting percussion, Focus provides a booming backdrop for Gator’s lyrical stunting. While the emcee rhymes revolve largely around the time-tested topics of cash, women, and street cred, his bouncy but aggressive flow sounds right at home over the stomp-clap rhythm, and the Biggie-sampling hook is sure to score this track extra points in the Booth. If you like what you’re hearing, stay tuned for release details on Al Gator’s forthcoming Chronicles of the Underboss LP.
Listen to More: Al Gator
Written by richard on 09/3/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hustla Muzik" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.