DNA’s hit remix of Suzanne Vega cut Tom’s Diner has already inspired three reader-acclaimed jams: posthumously-released 2Pac track Dopefiend’s Diner, Mike Dreams’ Tha Diner, and Gorilla Zoe‘s On the Corner. Those are three tough acts to follow, but Booth newcomer Al Gator knows he’s up to the challenge—on his new single/”hood national anthem,” the College Park up-and-comer teams up with Aftermath beatsmith Focus to flip that “Dat da da da, dat-da da da” chorus into a track so fresh even the most jaded listeners will be Feelin’ It. Superimposing the sample over simmering synths and hard-hitting percussion, Focus provides a booming backdrop for Gator’s lyrical stunting. While the emcee rhymes revolve largely around the time-tested topics of cash, women, and street cred, his bouncy but aggressive flow sounds right at home over the stomp-clap rhythm, and the Biggie-sampling hook is sure to score this track extra points in the Booth. If you like what you’re hearing, stay tuned for release details on Al Gator’s forthcoming Chronicles of the Underboss LP.
Written by richard on 09/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hustla Muzik" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.