DNA’s hit remix of Suzanne Vega cut Tom’s Diner has already inspired three reader-acclaimed jams: posthumously-released 2Pac track Dopefiend’s Diner, Mike Dreams’ Tha Diner, and Gorilla Zoe‘s On the Corner. Those are three tough acts to follow, but Booth newcomer Al Gator knows he’s up to the challenge—on his new single/”hood national anthem,” the College Park up-and-comer teams up with Aftermath beatsmith Focus to flip that “Dat da da da, dat-da da da” chorus into a track so fresh even the most jaded listeners will be Feelin’ It. Superimposing the sample over simmering synths and hard-hitting percussion, Focus provides a booming backdrop for Gator’s lyrical stunting. While the emcee rhymes revolve largely around the time-tested topics of cash, women, and street cred, his bouncy but aggressive flow sounds right at home over the stomp-clap rhythm, and the Biggie-sampling hook is sure to score this track extra points in the Booth. If you like what you’re hearing, stay tuned for release details on Al Gator’s forthcoming Chronicles of the Underboss LP.
Listen to More: Al Gator
Written by richard on 09/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hustla Muzik" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.