DNA’s hit remix of Suzanne Vega cut Tom’s Diner has already inspired three reader-acclaimed jams: posthumously-released 2Pac track Dopefiend’s Diner, Mike Dreams’ Tha Diner, and Gorilla Zoe‘s On the Corner. Those are three tough acts to follow, but Booth newcomer Al Gator knows he’s up to the challenge—on his new single/”hood national anthem,” the College Park up-and-comer teams up with Aftermath beatsmith Focus to flip that “Dat da da da, dat-da da da” chorus into a track so fresh even the most jaded listeners will be Feelin’ It. Superimposing the sample over simmering synths and hard-hitting percussion, Focus provides a booming backdrop for Gator’s lyrical stunting. While the emcee rhymes revolve largely around the time-tested topics of cash, women, and street cred, his bouncy but aggressive flow sounds right at home over the stomp-clap rhythm, and the Biggie-sampling hook is sure to score this track extra points in the Booth. If you like what you’re hearing, stay tuned for release details on Al Gator’s forthcoming Chronicles of the Underboss LP.
Written by richard on 09/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hustla Muzik" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.